Crobox Code of Conduct
When you work at the intersection of consumer behavior and data, having strong ethics is critical. Crobox puts end-customer protection at the center of our ethical policies, ensuring that our methods are used with care and on the right side of the ethical line.
Below, you will find the Crobox Code of Conduct, followed by an expanded explanation of each of the codes.
When it comes to our technology and service delivery, the most important pillars of our ethics can be categorized by:
- Data Handling
- Message Serving
- Research Approach
Crobox runs thousands of experiments daily on our client’s websites, making data collection and handling a centerpiece of our service delivery. We take a careful approach to consumer data and offer peace of mind to our clients with our strict procedures.
- Anonymized Data: With or without the GDPR, we strongly believe that customers have the right to privacy. Because of this, our system automatically anonymizes all data after pulling the necessary elements.
- Secured Data: All anonymized data is given an extra level of protection with the use of disk encryption. This way, all stakeholders can rest assured that their data is safeguarded against hacks.
- Third-Parties: Crobox never shares the data (Personal Identifiable Information) we collect with third parties. The data is only accessible by Crobox and the client.
- Data Requests: Our client’s website visitors are given the power to control the data Crobox gathers. They can easily view, delete, and download all the data we have collected on them.
- Opt Out: Visitors are also able to opt in and out of tracking within the User Data Portal, which is offered free of charge to all our clients. This means that no data will be collected or processed from that visitor.
- Control Condition: All Crobox experiments include a control condition. A control condition is made up of website visitors that are not exposed to any Crobox features. By using a control, we can accurately measure the real performance of Crobox’s product tags, smart notifications, native nudges, and interactive overlays.
- Confidence Rate: Conclusions are only made when the data has reached a confidence level of 95%. This means that when reporting findings, we are 95% sure that the results are real and not caused by random chance.
- Power Rate: Similar to the confidence threshold, conclusions based on the data can only be made when a power of 80% is reached. Power indicates the likelihood that a true effect exists and not a false positive.
Crobox serves messages throughout the customer journey, these can take the form of product tags, smart notifications, native nudges, and interactive overlays. Crobox only communicates true messages, we strongly object to the use of dark patterns and under no circumstance will serve messages that are misleading.
Our messages aim to increase an individual’s motivation to continue to the next step in their customer journey. These “nudges” are designed to motivate. The persuasive messages are created in a way that helps to shape the visitor’s choice architecture by highlighting relevant products or product attributes. They are simply not capable of forcing visitors to buy products they do not want.
To maintain the integrity of the messages, we set trigger conditions so the messages are matched to the appropriate products. These triggers help to ensure that the most relevant message is being served while still giving the AI enough freedom to optimize the process.
These trigger conditions are extremely important, as by serving only relevant messages, the chance is lowered that visitors become desensitized and ignore the messages. Plus, by maintaining transparency, all our messages are built on facts and do not mislead the visitor.
Another feature of these conditions is the ability to remember how individuals interact with the notification. So, if a visitor closes a smart notification, the system will not show this form of notifications again during the visit. Naturally, visitors who turn off tracking won’t receive any messages from Crobox.
Scientific research serves as the foundation of our methodology and approach at Crobox. All persuasion techniques are backed up by a body of academic literature. By taking this grassroots approach, we can ensure that the advice we’re giving our clients is factual and tested, eliminating the chance of jumping to incorrect conclusions in translating campaign results.